< link rel="DCTERMS.replaces" href="http://justtakeitdown.blogspot.com/" >

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

CPAC- The Good, the Bad, and the Interesting

THE GOOD

- Sen. Tom Delay and author David Horowitz, in a presentation they gave announcing the Coalition for a Conservative Majority (CCM), demonstrated that the leaders of the GOP are finally realizing what I’ve been saying for a long time (not because I’m a genius, but simply because of my perspective on the frontlines): in order for conservatives to win, we have to fight the battle on all fronts, and not just at the political level. They plan to get at least one grassroots organization working with them in every congressional district of the US, and to link together as many others as possible so that we can cooperate and share a comprehensive battle plan. I am extremely optimistic about this endeavor, and cannot encourage you enough to check them out and join up yourselves.

- It was beautiful in Washington, of course: sixty degrees and sunny is quite an improvement from life up here in the Frozen North. The city was clean and open, there were plenty of interesting (and free) tourist attractions, and I felt relatively safe on the subways (once I got past my fear of the hundred-feet tall escalators seeming to drop you into Dante’s ninth level). I think what I was most impressed by (or most depressed, considering they were government structures) was the sheer abundance of architecture in Washington. It was beautiful, it was classical, it was well-proportioned, and it made for interesting places to drop your eye while walking to the Mall.

- The resturant scence was great, presenting a wide array of prices and styles.

- Brownback did remarkably better in this poll than he has been doing in many previously publicized, suggesting to me that once voters start to hear more about him, he’ll stand a better chance. I can't say Brownback's my man yet, but he certainly is far better than the other so-called "top-tier" candidates.

THE BAD

- Giuliani won the combined first and second choice vote. Mitt "flip-flop" Romney won the overall first choice vote. 'Nough said.

- The rooming situation for Hillsdale College students was utterly butchered by Romney’s campaign. A quote on RedState attributed the number of college students Romney bussed in to his campaign’s organizational skills. At least in the case of every student at our hotel, nothing could be further from the truth.

First, the Hillsdale CR’s were promised one full tour bus with seats for forty students; all were promptly filled. Then, for days, Romney’s campaign vacillated, claiming ignorance of their promise.

Then, we were assured in nebulous language that some HCR’s would be paid for.

Then, our (filled) forty-passenger bus was withdrawn, and we were promised a 15-passenger van with registration, gas, rooming, and parking paid for.

Then, Romney’s campaign wasn’t so sure about registration fees.

Then, we were promised that the attendance for 15 students would be paid for, but that we would only be given two seven passenger vans. I’m not sure if the extra student was supposed to ride on the roof or in the trunk, but the addition of an extra van required the addition of an extra driver, and two students were required to find alternate transportation.

One of those two students was me.

After an exhausting, fourteen hour overnight drive during which I slept less than a half hour, I arrived at our Hotel to find that the sixteen HCR students had two rooms, with one full size bed in each. Management of the hotel, understandably, was reluctant to provide us with extra blankets or towels. A half hour after I called down for blankets, a sheet arrived at my door. I politely thanked the maid, wrapped myself in the sheet, used my jacket for a pillow, and curled asleep on the floor (the bed in the room had been used by someone from Romney’s campaign the night before- we had no idea who).

This pattern continued throughout the conference, indeed getting worse as it progressed, leading to the point where I received a frantic phone call while at dinner informing me that if I did not return and remove my luggage from the hotel in an hour, it would be confiscated and sold. Were it not for alternative arrangements we made either at our own expense or at that of our friends, we may well have had to sleep on the streets.

I cannot imagine how we expect a man who cannot appoint a campaign responsible for trips comparable to those I planned my sophomore year in High School, to appoint the officers to lead the greatest and most powerful nation on Earth.


THE INTERESTING


- I ran into many intriguing and important leaders of the conservative movement, including Michelle Malkin, Wayne LaPierre, and Newt Gingrich. At one point, I had a fifteen to twenty minute conversation with Wayne LaPierre and another member of the NRA executive board in the hotel lobby.


- The President of the NRA gave thrilling speech. I had never heard the man before (my family supports the NRA but we’re not really involved in that crowd), but I was duly impressed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Moore said...

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with your hotel rooms. I am glad you found another place to stay and got to enjoy the conference.

March 07, 2007 3:48 PM  
Blogger Daniel Christianson said...

Thanks for your kind words. It all worked out wonderfully in the end, but needless to say I'm not too impressed with Romney's campaign (I have other, more substantial problems with him as well).

March 07, 2007 6:29 PM  
Anonymous Christine said...

Dear Daniel, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed CPAC. Moreover, I am glad that you were exposed to the genius of Mr. Wayne LaPierre and the National Rifle Association. It is a shame that you do not involve yourself "in that crowd." I believe you would find them to be a remarkable group that understands the immense importance of keeping power in the hands of the people. For without the guarantee of the Second Amendment, all other amendments are in danger of extinction. However, kudos for still supporting the NRA.

March 07, 2007 8:10 PM  
Blogger Daniel Christianson said...

Remarkable indeed.

March 09, 2007 8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Alliance Blog Roll