< link rel="DCTERMS.replaces" href="http://justtakeitdown.blogspot.com/" >

Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Collegian (Foul Rag)

I am tired of The Collegian, our campus paper here at Hillsdale College.

As "Michigan's Oldest College Paper," you would think the journalists would have too much professional responsibility to talk about their sex lives, or to publish naked photographs of streakers and laugh at their contemptible behavior, or to lambaste our "intolerant" students for their "narrow-mindedness" and inability to accept "diversity."

I've heard it all before, as readers of this blog know, and believe me, I do not want to hear it again.

These purveyors of pollution shamelessly malign our college and our students, and spit on the morals that set our school apart. I've always suspected they would be far happier at a public school, yet they seem more content to debauch Hillsdale, like a child who tramples his mother's flower-garden out of churlish rebellion.

I've put up with a lot from liberals over the course of my life, and I've always born it with charity and --if not a grin-- at least a smirk.

But here their slander hurts my fellow students.

Hillsdale may mean nothing more to them than four years in a "bubble shielded from the outside world" full of "dangerous uniformity." But it means a great deal to me by virtue of our student's relative accord. This substantial common ground makes true fellowship and discussion possible. It makes true collegiality possible.

So-- you liberals-- take the University of Michigan. Take State. Take Princeton, take Yale, take Dartmouth and Harvard and the University of Colorado.

But leave me Hillsdale.

Because, for no matter how shrill you whine, you will only succeed in proving yourself the fool.

There are good people here. They deserve better than to put up with you. They will not put up with you.

So wise up. Grow up. Put your sullied pen to rest, and leave my school alone.

7 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Christianson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 16, 2007 7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

November 17, 2007 12:06 PM  
Blogger Daniel Christianson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 17, 2007 3:36 PM  
Blogger Daniel Christianson said...

Ooh, too bad. It looks like somebody can't read: "You’re more than welcome to complain here as long as you avoid profanity."

November 18, 2007 4:50 PM  
Blogger Basil Guildersleeve said...

Unfortunately, the liberals have again proven to us their inability to be responsible adults (or, judging by the last random comment, which I'm assuming was from the same person, even make sense).

I'm afraid I'll have to enable comment moderation for awhile.

Goodnight, readers!

November 18, 2007 7:18 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

I'm the author of the "***** and moan" letter. That letter applies to the editorials only, and specifically to two ones in particular, regarding remedial grammar and the honor code.

I did not and will not apply it to Joel's article (which I found to be courageous, though I certainly disagree with some of what Mr. Pavelski believes) or the streaking article (which, I will be honest, I found amusing and harmless).

For someone who would so readily do away with the Collegian, your writing seems rather self-righteous, as well as unnaturally stilted by affected pretention and an inflated sense of self-importance. Unfortunately, we at Hillsdale (myself highly included) tend to suffer from self-righteousness and the like more than most.

Mark Perkins
Hillsdale '09

December 18, 2007 4:35 PM  
Blogger Daniel Christianson said...

Dear Mark,

Thank you for keeping a reasonable tone. I apologize for misunderstanding your letter to the editor. To me, the issues were and remain linked. It seems that many members of the Collegian have an ax to grind, and would rather spend their ink expressing their frustrations with or trying to rebel against what are considered common standards of decency at Hillsdale. Regarding Joel, I did not want to bring him into this personally and I will only thus far:

There are many things that are courageous-- or, as I believe may be more accurately stated, sad-- that do not belong in a newspaper.

If my writing strikes you as "self-righteous" or "unnaturally stilted," I offer only the apology that I do not have the gall to publish my writings in our college paper. I do not force students to fund what seems to be little more than a psychological need for self expression.

I blog. If someone doesn't like what they read here, there's a little black "x" in the top right corner. They can click it.

Unfortunately, we have no such choice regarding the funds taken from our student fees


And that is a significant difference-- one that I trust is not lost one you.


Merry Christmas,
Daniel Christianson

December 18, 2007 11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Alliance Blog Roll